In 2014, we led a project on behalf of Simulation Australasia to develop and deliver a companion to the Introduction to Simulation in Australia (now Simulation Fundamentals 1) program. Deciding what to include (and NOT include) was a real challenge, and eventually the program emerged as Foundations of Simulation Acquisition. It was great working with Melanie, Elyssebeth, Nicole and Roger on this. We then delivered several iterations of this program across Australia and New Zealand, largely to Defence personnel and contractors, receiving exceptional feedback along the way.
Some highlights included:
- seeing participants discover how they unconsciously hide critical information from key stakeholders
- uncovering a culture of learned helplessness around requirements matching
- learning about significant failings in simulation, like
- the B707 crash at East Sale
- severe motion sickness in a helicopter simulation